About the BookHow To Prepare Your Dog for the Arrival of Your Child
Even If Your Dog Is ‘Good’, Your Child Is Still At Risk.
Learn the proven step-by-step system for training your dog to live peacefully with your new baby.
Acclaimed San Francisco dog trainer, Michael Wombacher, has written the definitive book to help new parents who love their dogs create a safe baby-friendly environment.
From: Michael Wombacher
Re: Good Dog, Happy Baby
Dear New or Expecting Parent,
Congratulations! Your family will soon be growing—or it already has. If you’re like most people, you’re caught between anticipation and trepidation. You’re thrilled about the arrival of your new child and you’re concerned about doing everything right.
If you own a dog, certainly some of your concern revolves around him. You’re probably asking yourself a lot of questions:
- How will my dog handle this?
- Will he be jealous?
- Will he be careful?
And most importantly:
- Is there any chance that he might bite my child?
If you’re not concerned, you should be. I don’t mean to scare you, but the truth is, 80% of dog bites happen to children under five, and 80% of those are in the face. And, most alarmingly, most dog bites happen by the family dog.
Take a moment to ask yourself the following questions:
Has your dog ever been…
- Sensitive to or fearful of loud noises, sudden movement, or rough handling?
- Emotionally dependent on you?
- Afraid of being left alone?
- Pushy and demanding?
- Territorial or reluctant to get off furniture or out of your way?
- Exposed to children? If so, how did he relate? Was he shy, suspicious, intimidated, overly exuberant, pushy?
Does your dog ever…
- Bark for your attention?
- Jump on you or your guests as a sign of greeting?
- Steal food from the table or beg incessantly?
- Growl, snap, bite, or tense up when you’ve taken away food or toys?
- Disobey basic obedience commands?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, don’t worry. You don’t have to get rid of your dog–you just have to learn the step-by-step system I’ve created for the new or expecting parent.
Before you do, though, you might be wondering,
“Why Should You Trust Me?”
My name is Michael Wombacher. I’m an author, lecturer, and dog trainer for San Francisco Bay Area celebrities and families, with over 25 years of hands-on training experience.
I’ve trained dogs for, among others, Robin Williams, Barry Levinson, Joe Satriani, Bob Weir, Linda Ronstadt, Michael Tilson Thomas, Charles Schwab, Max Levchin (founder of PayPal), Chad Hurley (founder of YouTube), Kevin & Julia Hartz (founders of EventBrite), Jeremy Stoppelman (founder of Yelp) and Kirk Hammet of Metallica.
In addition, I’ve performed over 20,000 in-home behavioral consultations including hundreds for expecting parents.
I’ve also been certified as an expert on dog behavior by the California Superior Court, and been featured on Fox 5 Television’s “Good Day New York,” San Francisco’s Channel 7 News, San Francisco’s View From the Bay, Animal Planet, as well as other television and radio programs nationwide.
My work has also been showcased in major national magazines, including: American Dog Magazine, Fit Pregnancy, Dog World, Boston Whaler (dogs on boats). Additionally, I have been a guest speaker at the annual convention of California’s Animal Care & Control organizations.
I’ve put all of this experience into an easy-to-understand training course, designed specifically for you, the expecting (or recent) parent and dog owner—so that your dog and baby get along beautifully. The result? Good Dog, Happy Baby.
Through principles of positive reinforcement as well as through methods that appeal to your dog’s canine sensibilities, Good Dog, Happy Baby will teach you how to prepare your home and dog for any situation, so that from the day of birth forward, your dog will behave perfectly and become your child’s best friend.
Take a Quick Look at What You’ll Find Inside Good Dog, Happy Baby
- Comprehensive and structured program for basic relationship training, plus great methods for introducing your new baby to your dog.
- Exclusive series of proven, effective exercises designed solely to prepare your dog for the changes in your household with your baby’s arrival.
- Extensive review of the strategies you’ll need to change your dog’s pushy or demanding disposition, to stop him jumping up, begging incessantly, climbing all over the furniture, or pulling you down the street like a sled dog.
- Step-by-step “rank management” instructions for implementing complete behavior modification. Learn how to solve your dog’s fear- and rank-based aggression problems once and for all.
- Detailed Doggie Twelve-Step Program puts you in charge and equips you with the know-how to solve every potential problem.
Good Dog, Happy Baby is a one-of-a-kind resource, filled with a wealth of valuable information you won’t find anywhere else.
But How Do I Know This Book Is Right For Me?
Good question. First of all, there is no other book like this available. It is the only book that shows you exactly what you need to do to prepare your home and dog for the coming of your newborn baby.
Because it anticipates all the issues that arise with the introduction of a newborn into the pack, there is no other approach that offers the benefits of Good Dog, Happy Baby.
Good Dog, Happy Baby takes on the real situations, real problems, and the hectic lifestyles that you will face everyday with real solutions that use a balanced approach of positive reinforcement and discipline, but always emphasizes the positive.
But, don’t take my word for it…look at what satisfied customers have said:
“A maestro of dog trainers…”
“Michael Wombacher is a maestro of dog trainers. His clarity of thinking, sense of humor, and skills in communicating make dog training fun for pet and pet lover.”
Michael Tilson Thomas
Music Director of the San Francisco Symphony
“Consistently provides practical, gentle methods…”
“A practical guide written with style and a sense of humor by one who truly understands the behavior of dogs and the relationship they have with their human families.”
“Everyone can benefit from this book…
“Knowledge is power! Get ready to gain some valuable insights into the world of a professional dog trainer who knows his stuff. Everyone can benefit from this book.”
EZtrain Dog Training
“Wombacher’s book has restored sanity in our lives…”
“Wombacher’s book has restored sanity in our lives and taught us how ALL of us (my husband and me, our baby, and our dogs) could co-exist in a way that works for everyone. In particular, if you follow his Doggie Twelve-Step Program you will effectively teach your dog that you are in control, not him or her. You will be able to keep your dog quiet while your baby is sleeping. You will be able to take your baby AND your dog for a walk. You will be able to have your dog in the same room as your baby without worrying about your dog running your baby over. A must for anyone with a baby (or a baby on the way)!”
“The ONLY dog training book you need…”
“I think this book has the potential to be the ONLY dog training book you need if you are getting a dog and will some day add a baby. The steps you are given are very easy to do and will be fun for you both!”
“It was a lifesaver…”
“My wife was six months pregnant and we were concerned about a number of problem behaviors in our five year old lab mix. He had issues of aggression, separation anxiety and a number of other things and we thought for sure that we’d have to find him another home with a baby on the way – not an easy thing to do for a dog like him. Mike helped us resolve all our areas of concern using precisely the methods described in his book. It was a life saver for us. It’s concise, well-written, easy to use and filled with stuff that works. If you’re having a baby and have concerns about your dog do yourself a favor and buy this book. Your dog will thank you for it.”
“Helped me transform my overall relationship with my dog…”
“Initially I purchased the book to help me prepare my dog for the arrival of my baby, and it helped me with this enormously. What I didn’t expect was how much this book would help me transform my overall relationship with my dog in the most positive way. The bond I have with him now is closer than ever and the bond he is developing with my new baby is beautiful to see.
As you can see, many people have transformed their lives with this book. But you still may be wondering exactly what you’ll learn in Good Dog, Happy Baby.
Take a Look at What’s Inside
In Section One of Good Dog, Happy Baby, you’ll get familiar with my Doggie Twelve-Step Program—an easy-to-follow program to prepare you and your dog for the big day.
- Learn the fundamental commands that every dog should have in his vocabulary. These are the building blocks to keeping baby safe and sound.
- Discover the 40 most important questions you should ask yourself even if you’re not pregnant, but are simply considering it.
- Reveal hidden problem areas with your dog you weren’t even aware of. Then, resolve them once and for all to assure good and safe behavior in all situations with your baby.
- Learn what inexpensive household items make fabulous, non-harmful deterrents that will turn your dog’s poor behavior around!
- Discover the 3 guaranteed tricks to keep your dog from dashing out the door in front you. (Imagine the nasty consequence of his frisky behavior if you had your baby on board?)
- Learn the 5 best ways to assure safety for your baby in all the most important places (e.g., sleeping on the couch, hanging out in baby’s room, eating in the high chair, playing on the floor, etc.).
- Discover how simple it is to train your dog to stop dragging you on the leash. Remember: you’ll be pushing a baby stroller or carrier soon, so this is one training technique you can’t afford to avoid.
- Find out how easy it is to keep your dog from ever jumping up again. Training your dog with these critical techniques will keep him from accidentally injuring your child.
- Discover one of the most important commands you can teach your dog. If you only learn one order, this is the one that’ll keep your baby safe.
- Learn the step-by-step process to stop your dog from ever taking food without yourpermission. (That food might someday be your baby’s!)
- Learn how to teach your dog to accept childlike and inappropriate handling–building a buffer zone of tolerance in your dog just in case is essential for your child’s safety. Start teaching your pup new tricks today.
That’s Only a Small Sample of Section One
Here is What You’ll Discover in Section Two
In Section Two, you’ll learn how to address and resolve all your dog’s potential behavior problems.
- Find out how to end nuisance barking, destructive behavior, and elimination in the house with a systematic program designed to deal with your dog’s separation anxiety issues.
- Discover the core motivations that cause your dog to act out—then, find out what you need to do to end them once and for all.
- Discover how an “unnatural” dog exercise can be the best training technique to prepare him for the coming of your baby.
- Learn the 4 most successful ways to stop your dog from whining, barking, and complaining when he’s left alone. (It’s easier than you might think!)
- Learn when you need to start making your training exercises the most successful.
- Hint: Waiting for your baby to arrive is often too late!
- Find out what common behavior is one of the most dangerous facing your dog and children. Then, let me show you step-by-step instructions how to control that behavior once and for all.
- Learn how to teach your dog never to be aggressive or protective around food or toys of any kind.
- Learn the one word that will help curb your dog’s excessive barking prior to your baby’s arrival—everyone will sleep more peacefully!
Section Three Teaches You The Most Important Lessons You’ll Need To Welcome Baby Into The Pack
In Section Three, you’ll learn everything you need to know for the arrival of your baby. Take a look at just a few of the things you’ll find in Good Dog, Happy Baby…
You’ll learn training techniques that will assure your dog is on his best behavior when the baby comes, including:
- To respect certain critical baby zones, including the child’s room, any areas where you’re planning on nursing, the space around his high chair, and—of course—the space around the baby himself. This will build in a safety margin and give you great control at all times.
- How to walk next to a stroller without lunging or pulling. Order your copy today to make your next dog walk super smooth!
- To respect your child as a higher-ranking member of the pack and imbued with your authority.
In this section of Good Dog, Happy Baby, you’ll also:
- Discover the most critical thing you need to do to make the arrival of your new child as seamless and easy as possible.
- Learn how to avoid the single quickest way to cause your dog to have an emotional meltdown once your child arrives.
- Find out everything you need to know to assure that the first introduction between your newborn and your dog goes perfectly.
- Learn the one final rule that should be obeyed under any and every circumstance without any exception. Not obeying this rule could change your entire family’s life forever.
- Discover how to teach your dog to respect boundaries and maintain positive associations with the presence of your child.
- And, many more exciting lessons and strategies for creating a safe home for your baby and dog.
Throughout the book, you’ll learn how to build a close, tolerant, and cooperative relationship between your child and your dog. Using Good Dog, Happy Baby is the closest thing to a guarantee you’ll ever find for a guide to creating a healthy, happy, and fulfilling home—with baby, dog, and the entire family.
But Our Dog Is Already Obedient– Why Do We Need Your Book?
Some of you might be saying “But our dog is already a good dog. We don’t really need to train him—right?”
Don’t be so sure. It is difficult to know how your dog will respond to the fact that her centrality in your life is being challenged by a newcomer until the moment arrives. But there is an enormous amount you can do to both assess your dog and prepare her for the big transition coming her way.
That’s why this book is so critical for all expecting dog owners or new parents. I know it may seem daunting at first to train your dog for the coming of your baby—there’s a lot to learn—but, trust me, if you prepare, the first time when your dog and baby meet will be priceless!
Morgan: Alright Mike, I’ve got another great question for you today. Are you ready? Mike: Oh, I’m ready. Morgan: Alright, here we go. “I believe hierarchy is socially important for dogs. Number one, do you agree? And number two, do you think this is important in terms...read more
Morgan: Alright Mike, welcome back to the show. I’ve got a great question for you today. Here we go: “I’ve noticed my dog is very protective of my child. Is this something that I should be concerned about?” A Worst-Case Scenario Mike: The short answer is: absolutely,...read more
Your dog barks excessively. Is this going to be a problem when you bring home your little one? Yes it is and here’s what you can do about it.read more
The Million Dollar Question Morgan: Alright, Mike, welcome back. I’ve got a great question for you today that really gets to the heart of what we talk about on this podcast. Here it is: “My dog bit my toddler – what should I do?” Mike: That is a very difficult...read more
In this episode, we pick up where we left off in the last episode and explore the question of whether it's possible to get your dog to recognize you child as an "alpha" dog. Mike sheds light on this question with a very simple response and then goes deeper into some...read more